Saturday, July 22, 2006

What Webb Did Not Do...

See my post below.

Despite what you'll see at the pro-Webb sites, I thought it was pretty much a complete disaster for him. From an entertainment standpoint (what the average person would think about it) it was pretty boring. There were a couple of good lines, but none so memorable that they stand out. Ok, they are going to have a beer together sometime. I found my mind wandering at times when Webb was talking. That's NOT a good sign, as I'm actually interested and tried to follow him.

Face it, he's just not that dynamic of a speaker, especially when matched up against a professional like Allen.

This is not meant to disparage the man, but he's overmatched in public speaking. And in a voter's mind, that can be a disaster. He lacks the punch, he left too many open opportunities go by. For an average voter, his logic may be well founded, but is difficult to follow.

I did confirm this much, WTVR in Richmond will air the debate in its entirety on its secondary channel (on Comcast digital) this Friday night. I overheard that WDBJ in Roanoke might be doing the same thing (although plans did not seem worked out to me).

Media coverage was an interesting mix. Besides the above, TV coverage included: WSET, WSLS, WVIR, and even NHK (Japanese television).

The panelists were kinda dull. Bob Holsworth did an alright job, but could have pressed the issue a lot more. I feel like he did not challenge the candidates to provide specifics. He only used his moderator's power once to follow up. In a debate that was not limited by TV time, he had the opportunity, but did not use it.

Much will be made about the Craney Island question (although I thought Allen was saying Traney Island). Webb is right, it's a throw-away question. It's a boring technical issue that Allen's aides are probably working on, and not the Senator. It was a gotcha moment, and Allen came of looking like jerk. Of couse Webb looked like a doofus, but a gracious one.

Amazingly, the most timely question was not really asked. What to do about Israel and Lebanon, and Somalia and Ethiopia.

In all, informative yes. Fireworks no. There are at least two more debates planned, and hopefully Webb will improve his public speaking by then.

Right now the score is Allen 30-love.

Comments:
I hope you or someone in the area will tape the debate and put it up for the rest of us to see.
 
I'd love to, but I believe that would a copyright violation, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't want to run afoul of the law!
 
Well, as happens in television news, there are "loose" partnerships between television stations.

Some work better with each other. This is pretty standard.

How about D.C.? Aren't they worthy as well? Hmmm.....
 
Is the 30 from both this debate and the Stepha one? Is it basically the same dynamic or did you see any difference between the Stepha one and this one?
 
I watched the debate. I am a Rethug. Actually like Webb better then Allen but want the control of the Senate. Webb lost that thing. I don't know what he is thinking. He needs to let it all hang out a bit more.
 
Allen's 30 comes from this debate and the money lead as well.

I'm tempted to make it game point if Webb's campaign team can't get it straight. I've been very disappointed in their efforts.
 
Someone needs to stick a torpedo in Webb's office...
 
Looking for information and found it at this great site... darmowa pamela anderson
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?